Oh, yeah: Unable to switch to TTY from X

I probably should've put this in the last email I sent out,
but it is kind of off-topic for that and it just occurred to
me.

Since installing Debian (a while back), I'm unable to get
back to a TTY after I invoke startx.

I occasionally post on the Debian User Forums under the name
LadyDoor (not out of any desire to be deceptive but because
I am for some reason a teense more weird/OCD about posting
on fora than about posting to (publicly-available on the
Internet) mailing lists, though I was once weird about that
too. I know that that's backwards since you can hide your
email address on the forum, but whatever), and have posted
there about this and also searched google, but have yet to
come up with anything that actually solved the problem.
Mainly, what has been suggested is to comment the line in
xorg.conf (or maybe it was another file in /etc/X11/) that
tells X *not* to let me switch back. This line, however,
doesn't exist anywhere in my /etc/X11 directory, so as far
as I can tell that isn't the problem.

I thought that maybe the problem was that my window manager
of choice is stumpwm from CVS (which is great! The only
problem is occasionally having to explain to people that
that's not "how Linux looks" but that there are very pretty
options available if you're into that kind of thing), but I
have tried installing and starting up another window manager
(no luck) and starting a plain xterm without a window
manager (still no luck), so I don't think the WM is to
blame.

If anybody has any ideas on how to remedy this situation,
I'd appreciate it. Though it's not pressing due to the magic
of xterm + GNU screen, I just would feel more comfortable
knowing that I have that option available.

Thanks,
Amy