Re: Since chvt works, the problem must be the keymap

On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 11:12:23 -0400, Amy Templeton wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > maybe you could wrap it in a script that was suid root,
> > but I don't know about those things either.
>
> Fair enough. I guess I should probably find some time to
> read up on this (I know relevant info. can be found in some
> manpage I doubtless have installed, and I've seen stuff
> about SUID on the internet when I was looking for something
> completely unrelated). I think I'm actually going to just
> look into making particular commands not need passwords with
> sudo, since that could be useful in other realms as well and
> it's something I've heard can be done.
>
> > Did we ever do xmodmap -pk | grep VT to confirm those line
> > up properly?
>
> 'fraid so. And they definitely did match what they're
> supposed to be. So much for a simple solution!

It would be interesting to see which keycodes and keysyms are reported
if you run "xev", press (and hold) both CTRL and ALT, and then press F1,
F2, etc. Does xev really display the keycodes for the Fn keys and the
keysyms "XF86_Switch_VT_n"? Are the hexadecimal keysym values the same
as the ones that you get with "grep VT /usr/share/X11/XKeysymDB"?

          Florian   |