Re: webhttrack. start please

On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 05:57:22AM -0700, Michael M. wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-04-28 at 18:13 +0100, somethin2cool wrote:
> > >
> > > xterm -e lynx
> > >
> > > Amy
> > >

> > Well, can't it just know that Lynx is installed and run it in a
> > terminal? It can't run anywhere else, so one would think this would be
> > the default action. And it should be possible
>

> Can't you just alias the command as above, so that when you execute
> 'lynx' it launches 'xterm -e lynx'?
>
> Do you have more than one terminal app installed?  How would it know
> which terminal you want to use for any particular command?  Or which
> profile you want to use, if you have more than one?  Some things I like
> to run in a borderless, (pseudo-)transparent gnome-termimal; some things
> in an xterm; some things in a regular gnome-terminal (default profile;
> i.e., what starts when I just click on the terminal icon on my panel or
> select "Terminal" from the Gnome Applications menu).  You have to set up
> your preferences.

not to mention, lynx can be great for pulling a dump of a website for
parsing by some other program to pick out the right data and plug it
into something else. All of this can be done without a terminal at all
by using a cron job. I do this to get data from my cable modem as I'm
currently battling my provider over whose problem is causing my
outages. So I get a dump of the modem's diagnostics page and parse out
my signal strengths and put them in a file with time stamps for later
review.

The point is that there are so many different ways these
programs can be used that to make an assumption about how something is
used would be ridiculous. The user has to figure out how they want it
done and set it up that way. Then it will work exactly as they
expect.