Re: RAM 95% used

On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 05:00:45PM +0100, somethin2cool wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> >On Sunday 29 April 2007 16:19, somethin2cool wrote:
> >>even though i'm not running anything.
> >>
> >>in processes task manager says i'm using a total of 25mb, inc
> >>dependencies.
> >>
> >>in resources, it says 204. given the sluggishness of the totally
> >>minimal
> >>system i believe the later.
> >>
> >>however, even if i was to open every gui ap, it shouldn't use that
> >>much.
> >>
> >>what's wrong with it? why is it using up my ram?
> >>
> >>atm, just ruunning xfce takes 200mb. nothing stupid is installed, the
> >>whole point was for a fast system
> >
> >I've already seen the same question today, about memory being eaten up,
> >and that too was someone using xfce. The answer was that xfce suffers
> >from memory leaks.
> >
> >The thing to do is log out of xfce, restart it, and keep an eye on
> >memory useage. If it is a memory leak problem, you should initially see
> >hardly any memory being used, and this will slowly creep up with the
> >passing of time.
> >
> >Nigel.
> >

> Oh. kinda contradictory for the 'light' DE. Still, they seem on the
> ball. I'm sure it'll be sorted in no time

well, 'light' means their philosophy is to have a less resource
intensive DE. memory leaks are, of course, bugs where memory is not
properly freed after being used and are bugs as opposed to problems in
the philosophy.

I am curious about your sluggishness though, as I've had xfce running
for days with multiple apps open and problems. Currently I've got 2 or
3 terminals, iceweasel, openoffice, xfmedia and gnucash all up and
running for about 5 days and am only using 460MB of my 1 GB total
mem/swap. Are you running one of the *dm's? if so which one?