Re: aptitude + dpkg

On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 12:26:38AM +0100, somethin2cool wrote:
> Given that aptitude is awesome and that all the stuff I want is missing
> from all the repositories, is there anyway for me to use .deb files and
> dpkg in conjunction with aptitude. I'm sure they have the dependencies
> listed inside them somewhere, and it would be brilliant. I'd settle for
> apt of course.

Do you mean that you have a deb file that is not part of a repository
you can tell apt about that you want to use?

Apt gets the dependancy information from the packages file that gets
made when the repository gets made.

You can install the deb with dpkg but without prior documentation you
won't know about dependencies until during the install if debconf
requires one or after.  If the install goes well, you can use aptitude
(I always use it interactivly) to then tell you about that package.
Under aptitude it will show up as Obsolete or Locally Installed.

Good luck,

Doug.