Re: apt-get install synaptic / sources.list

Joe Hart wrote:

I warn you again though, this is not a good idea.  You'd be better off
downloading the tarball from the developers' web site and compiling it
that you would by trying to use apt to pull in a package from sarge.
The packages there are old, and have very different dependencies.

FWIW, it's not just a bad idea - it most likely won't work at all. It looks like Amaya depends on C++ libraries (incompatible between sarge and etch), so I predict that on issuing 'apt install amaya' all that will happen is apt will say "yep, I can install amaya - just let me remove half your system first!" Fortunately you will be given to opportunity to say "no" ;-)

You might want to give the unstable version a try. The bug reports I've read (#414380 and #357439) suggest that not everyone is affected by the issue Andrew refers to.

Dave.