strange X behaviour

Running Etch amd64

Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 MB, Athlon 3800+, 1 GB ram, Asus EN7300GT Silent
that uses Nvidia EN7300GT GPU.

Using either nv or nvidia driver (problem the same with both).

Using either Xfce or KDE (problem the same with both)

Start X with startx.

If I have been viewing graphics (e.g. jpegs) under X (any app), and
switch to a regular VT and back a few times, at some point (number of
switches variable) when I go to X, X will be unresponsive.

Mouse moves but clicks don't do anything.

Panel icons are missing.

The only keyboard input that does anything is Ctrl-Alt-Backspace
(thankfully that works).

There are no errors in logs or the output from startx.

After killing X I can go ahead and startx again and all is well.

Is anyone else seeing this?  I'm not sure its worth a bug report since
it looks like (on bugs.debian.org) that there are 259 outstanding
important bugs for Xorg.

Thanks,
Doug.