Re: edit the subject line of a thread [RE-][EDITED]?

On Saturday 28 April 2007 12:46:48 am Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 12:52:26AM -0400, P Kapat wrote:
> > On 4/28/07, P Kapat <kap4lin@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >I googled around a little bit, and did some simple mailing-replying
> > >actions.. It seems like gmail uses "subject" for threading the
> > >conversations. Kmail uses something else (i guess, In-Reply-To). Not
> > >just that, when you change the subject line when replying to a
> > >thread/conversation using gmail, it "removes" the In-Reply-To header;
> > >as a consequence any MUA ( i think) will get that messsage wrongly
> > >threaded. So, to me it seems like a problem with gmail's mailing
> > >system rather than MUA at the reading end... To prove the point
> > >(hopefully!), my next mail on this thread (using gmail) will have a
> > >modified subject line, check if the In-Reply-To header is removed, or
> > >whether it is threaded in a proper way with whichever MUA you use at
> > >your end..
> >
> > OK, heres I am "replying" to my own mail from gmail, after editing the
> > subject line...
>
> indeed the threading is broken here in mutt. And you're right, the
> In-Reply-To header is gone. looks like gmail is broken there.

This might be getting out of hand and a futile exercise in the end. But one
last time, let me add a modification...

This mail, with re-edited subject is being sent from Kmail using
smtp.gmail.com pop server. I am hoping that the In-Reply-To header will
remain with the mail and a "decent" MUA (like KMail, mutt, Evolution, ...)
will be able to thread it properly (ie, not a new thread). But those of you
who are reading it using gmail will see this as a "new thread/conversation".

No more mails on this issue from my side. I will have broken my own agenda
twice now!!

--
Regards
PK