Re: to lvm or not to lvm?

On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 10:24:11AM +0800, Bob wrote:

> Interestingly I've been thinking about this recently as I migrate my
> home servers, firewalls, etc.. to Etch.  It occurred to me that since
> one of the main reasons we partition harddrives on a server is so that a
> problem causing one partition to fill, won't necessarily cause the whole
> system crash, given this, what would be really cool would be to
> partition the system at install time using a slightly mean, but
> granular, best guess layout [0] so things should fit in their partitions
> without too much wasted space, then configure each partition as one
> mount point on one logical volume consisting of one physical volume [1]
> and then partition up the rest of the drive in 1GB chunks that sit in a
> pool of unused logical volumes so they can be assigned to any mount
> point when needed, preferably automatically.

sounds like a lot of work to end up with essentially the same problem,
which is your mass storage filling up. If you have 100 gigs floating
around and you chop it up into little chunks and assign them to parts
of the tree as needed, you'll eventually fill up 100 chunks and be in
the same boat. Except you'll lose a larger %age to overhead from
maintaining all those little bits. Much better, imo, to carve up one
reasonably sized chunk for the system /, /usr, /etc, etc and then a
couple really big chunks for those areas that might need it, /var/www
for web, /var/mail, /home or whatever.

The point is that you end up with roughly the same amount of space,
but don't have to mess with a whole pile of partitions. Further,
because of lvm, if things are out of balance (like my mail partition,
currently at 4 gigs is way way too big. if I had need I could
recapture some) you can adjust them using e2fsresize and lvresize
etc.

.02