Re: OT: DVD formats

Curt Howland wrote:

Just a quick question. I finally got a dual-layer DVD writer, and made up a huge collection of home movies to play on the DVD player. I burned a DVD-R DL disk as a video DVD, and it worked _perfectly_ in the commodity DVD player that's connected to my TV.

However, when I try to play that same DVD on my laptop, which does not have a dual-layer DVD _burner_ but has had no problems reading the 8+GB normal movie DVDs, it cannot read the disk.
Is this normal?

Also, DVD-R DL disks are darned hard to find. the +R DL disks are everywhere, but my player only plays DVD-R 4.5GB disks so I deliberately went looking for the -R DL just in case it wouldn't read +R of either density. How very strange all of this is.

Curt-
How many test disks you burned? Maybe you tested your latop's dvd drive with one bad luck media. I have the same feeling, dvd's are strange. I bumped all sort of incompatibilities, already. Even with single 4.4 gb disks. Since I bought my first dvd burner, I couldn't even come up with an empirical strategy of what works and what not.
Did you see these docs? Maybe they can shed some light.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdformats.htm