edit the subject line of a thread?

OK, this is just a small nitpicking, to which even I am guilty of in
the past, but I wanted to know the right mailing etiquettes. The
agenda is:

When replying to a mail/thread it is best not to modify the Subject
line, like adding "(solved)" or something similar. Because that breaks
the thread, which possibly is unintended and unwanted. In such cases,
it is better to add "SOLVED" (or sometihng to that extent) in the
begining of the mail body.

Now I have seen this thread breaking in Gmail and Kmail, I am not sure
of other frontends, like those who read the list from a news reader
Knode (using gmane's servers).
I am sure people might agree/disagree but I think it is worthwhile to
argue. Let your opinions flow....

--
Regards
PK