Re: Burn files > 4 GB to DVD

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 17:08:32 -0700 (PDT)
Jeff Dickison <jeffd@gmail.com> dijo:

> On Wed, 18 Apr 2007, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 06:41:35 +0800
> > Jerome BENOIT <jgmbenoit@mailsnare.net> dijo:

> >> correct: you may use groisofs which is not realy a replacement of mkisofs

> > Unfortunately, Synaptic lists only mkisofs, and it also says that it is
> > just to create a link to genisofs, which is what everyone should be
> > using now. But genisofs is not listed in Synaptic. Neither is growisofs.

> growisofs is in the dvd+rw-tools package.

Yes, I learned that later. And everything on my Etch box and my Feisty
boxes is up to date, and both have dvd+rw-tools installed. But neither
can burn a DVD if any of the individual files are greater than 4 GB.
Evidently there is no fix. And I find that amazing, considering that we
have had devices that can burn 4.7 GB per disk for several years now.
My new Etch computer has two dual-layer DVD drives that can burn over 8
GB. And blu-ray is available now as well. I'm just kvetching that it's
time for Linux to catch up again. Unfortunately, I am not a programmer,
so the only "help" I can offer is bitching on the sidelines. :(