Re: Burn files > 4 GB to DVD

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 06:41:35 +0800
Jerome BENOIT <jgmbenoit@mailsnare.net> dijo:

> John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > I got burned with this on Ubuntu Edgy, and now it appears I am still
> > stuck with it under Etch. K3b refuses to burn a file to DVD if the size
> > of the file exceeds 4 GB. From previous googling I know the problem is
> > in mkisofs. But I thought that there was a replacement for mkisofs
> > (growisofs?)
>
> correct: you may use groisofs which is not realy a replacement of mkisofs

Unfortunately, Synaptic lists only mkisofs, and it also says that it is
just to create a link to genisofs, which is what everyone should be
using now. But genisofs is not listed in Synaptic. Neither is growisofs.

> and that new distros should have eliminated this problem.
> > Evidently not. How can I burn large files to DVD?
>
> You can consider larger DVD too: 8 GB DVD

The problem is not the media or the drive. My DVD burner is double
layer and I have some double layer DVDs that can hold 8 GB. I can burn
a DVD that holds 8 GB, but it still can't include any individual files
that are over 4 GB in size. I tried GnomeBaker, K3b and Nautilus. Each
one said that the write failed because the file was over 4 GB. The file
in question is 4.4 GB and it wouldn't work even if I used a double
layer DVD.

Thanks for the response, but I'm stll stuck.