Will kernels work on the "wrong" hardware?

I have a system that died and I'm hoping to salvage it by either
replacing the motherboard or moving the disks to a new machine.  It
was running the testing 2.6.18-k7 kernel.  Will that work if I put it
in a machine that is not a k7?  Specifically, the likely alternatives
would be ones with proper versions of 686 or amd64.

I did some searching  and reviewed the kernel FAQ, Debian installation
and release notes, and /usr/share/doc/linux-image-2.6-686 (which had
almost nothing), but couldn't find an answer.

Thanks.

Ross Boylan