Re: tv-out, nvidia, nvtv etc

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, Adam Hardy wrote:

spent the last 24 hours trying to get on top of this but reached the limit of my resources now and seem to have hit most of the relevant googleable info out there without getting past the current impasse.

I've got a hot nvidia 7950GT GPU which is supported by nvidia's latest driver 1.0-9755. It's running with a TV in my living room.

So far I've got a black-and-white picture, no colour, and the picture's too big for the screen, so I lose the top and bottom edges.

I suspect the no-colour problem may be due to the cabling - I'm using an SVIDEO to scart cable, and I've seen two messages on the web (albeit from the USA) saying it's a cable issue. Could it be something else? I've already been to the store twice for these cables!

As for the screen size, I think I've got the xorg.conf set up as perfect as it can be (see end) and I should use nvtv to configure it now.

Problem is, nvtv says

isengard:~# nvtv
Fatal: No supported video card found.
isengard:~# nvtv -P
Fatal: Either you are not root, or no NVidia card found.

Also it concerns me that lspci doesn't recognise my nvidia model:

isengard:~# lspci |grep -i nvidia
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0295 (rev a1)

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier     "telly"
   HorizSync       30.0 - 65.0
   VertRefresh     60.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier     "nvidia 7950GT"
   Driver         "nvidia"
   BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
   Option          "ConnectedMonitor"      "telly"
   Option          "TVStandard"            "PAL-I"  # for the UK
   Option          "TVOutFormat"           "SVIDEO"
EndSection

The setup is quite different, but this "Device" works for me.

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 440 Go]"
        Driver          "nvidia"
        BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
        Option          "UseFBDev"              "true"
# TV Out Setup
        Option      "TVStandard" "NTSC"
        Option      "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
        Option      "TVOverScan" "0.6"
        Option      "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
EndSection

--
Don.Hayward at pomobuli.net -- debian/rules -- Registered Linux user #374806
- History is the best antidote to illusions of omnipotence and omniscience.