Re: Upgrade Sarge > Etch: segfault upgrading libc6: system hosed

On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 09:03:37PM +0300, David Baron wrote:
> That libc6 requires recent 2.6.* kernels.

Fully up-to-date sarge 2.6 kernel.

> Even if your running kernel were such a kernel, there are other factors. I
> doubt whether you had anything like this, but read my posting about
> LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=#.#.# in the environment. If for whatever reason, i.e.
> certain software running on a 32meg memory computer, you had this set to 2.4
> something, then libc6 will die as soon as it is loaded. File or swap
> operation using it this point. Bingo.

Because of the X migration (and my X was using a 3.? S3 driver), I
purged everything related to X.  Brought the system back pretty much to
a base install (plus mc, lynx, mutt, ppp, nano, and busybox).

> An outside guess in your case but I just went through the wringer on this
> thing. Only when the very patient and helpful libc6 maintainer suggested
> runing some test with LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.6.1 did I realize what was crippling
> my system. For me, it only bashed bash.

Unfortunaly, I can't run any test at all.  The system itself won't boot
past grub and booting woody's install (2.4 kernel) floppy in rescue mode
won't run programs on that partition due to segfaults.  I could never
find a 2.6 kernel on a boot floppy.

> BTW, have you looked at DeLi Linux. This is designed for your old computer and
> despite my post on it being interpreted as a pan, it really is OK and someone
> of your knowledge would set it up to be quite decent!

I've looked at several tiny linuxes.  The problem is that this is my
tool box.  I need it to be able to get on the net if my main box dies,
so that, for example, I can access this mailing list.  I havn't found a
tiny linux with solid security updates.  I'll probably switch to NetBSD
or OpenBSD for this box.

Thanks,

Doug.