Re: Architecural modelling software

On Wednesday 25 April 2007 16:42, andy wrote:
> I am looking for some architectural design modelling software that will
> enable one to design buildings and model the effects of lighting, wind,
> insulation values, etc.
> Does anyone know of anything that can do this kind of job? I've searched
> on Sourceforge and google.com/linux but to no avail. Are there any
> architects here who could recommend a GNU/Linux Debian-friendly program?
>
> Thanks muchly
>
> --
>
> "If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry
> about the answers." - Thomas Pynchon, "Gravity's Rainbow"
There are several..however there are none really designed for your (or MY)
purpose that are free or GPL licensed.  BRL-CAD is a killer app that is way
more than capable of doing what you want but it has a crappy user interface
and an extremely steep learning curve.  Cycas Cad is about the best
http://www.cycas.de/    but is commercial software. There may be others as I
surely have not been able to try all of them. If you find something including
a reasonably priced (under $100. US) I would be interested. The real issues
with most of the stuff that works is the serious lack of libraries of
components for architectural work. That is an area that will eventually be
accomplished with open source portable libraries, I expect. You may want to
check out the links on this page
http://www.tech-edv.co.at/lunix/CADlinks.html
Best Wishes!!
--