Re: kernel 2.6.20 generates kernel panic at boot

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 09:48:17PM +0200, Lorenzo Bettini wrote:
> I updated the linux sources (debian package) from 2.6.18 to 2.6.20.
> Copied the previous .config and issued a make oldconfig
>
> However, the new kernel does not boot: it freezes with a kernel panic
> when trying to mount the root partition...
>
> On other computers (desktops) this kernel update succeeded without any
> problem...

Someone please tell me if I'm wrong, but I think recently someone here
said that 2.6.20 has dropped the names for hd* and all drives are now
sd*.   Could that be your issue?  What are you telling the kernel to use
as a root fs?

Perhaps the other computers didn't have any IDE (/dev/hd*) drives.

Doug.