Re: moved system to different partition; grub boot problems

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 10:12:19AM -0700, Ric Otte wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently had some problems with my sata drive (sda), so I got an IDE drive,
> did a fresh install of etch to partition 1 (hdc1), put home on partition 4
> (hdc4), and left partition 2 blank.  I then copied my sid system from sda10
> to hdc2, using dd.  Everything looks fine in hdc2, and when I mount it while
> in etch, I find everything there.  I have the computer first boot off of the
> IDE drive (grub is also installed there, as well as on the SATA drive).  My
> IDE etch /boot/grub/menu.lst has the following lines:
>

> There is no problem booting the etch kernel (first in the list), and there is
> no problem booting to the old sid system on the sata drive (last on the
> list).  But I cannot boot to the sid system on the IDE drive.  If I choose
> that option when logging in, it boots from the sata drive.  If I disconnect
> the sata drive, it begins to boot, but then eventually stops while looking
> for the sata drive.

> removed the menu.lst file from the first partition on the sata drive, but am
> still getting booted into the sata drive.  Does anyone have any thoughts
> about how to boot into the sid system on the IDE's second partition?  I don't
> know what is telling it to boot from sda10 instead of hdc2.

I think I heard on here recently that newer (than Etch) kernels have
dropped the hd* so that _all_ drives are now called sd*.  So booting the
new kernel, it won't find the root at hd*.

I also think that the future will use UUIDs and LABLEs instead of fixed
sd* in fstab and root=.

Boot whatever works and lable the file systems, then use that for the
kernel root= line and in fstab inplace of hd* and sd*.

Doug.