Re: kernel 2.6.20 generates kernel panic at boot

On April 25, 2007 04:48:17 pm Lorenzo Bettini wrote:
> Hi
>
> I updated the linux sources (debian package) from 2.6.18 to 2.6.20.
> Copied the previous .config and issued a make oldconfig
>
> However, the new kernel does not boot: it freezes with a kernel panic
> when trying to mount the root partition...
>
> My laptop is a sony vaio...
>
> On other computers (desktops) this kernel update succeeded without any
> problem...
>
> any clue please?
>
> thanks in advance
> 	Lorenzo
>
> --
> Lorenzo Bettini, PhD in Computer Science, DSI, Univ. di Firenze
> ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     (GNU/Linux User # 158233)
> HOME: http://www.lorenzobettini.it MUSIC: http://www.purplesucker.com
> BLOGS: http://tronprog.blogspot.com  http://longlivemusic.blogspot.com
> http://www.gnu.org/software/src-highlite
> http://www.gnu.org/software/gengetopt
> http://www.gnu.org/software/gengen http://doublecpp.sourceforge.net

Using make oldconfig is not really recommended your better off using make
menuconfig, xconfig ... even if it is only to load then save and exit with
the old .config file at least you get a warning of what has changed/is not
used anymore. I know the driver names for the SATA drives at least changed
from the .18 to .20 so if it is using one of those then that is the first
place to look and the IDE drives are now being detected as sd? instead of hd?
(which was the case on my test install of Etch for my IDE dvd burner when
going from .18 to .20 Debian kernel) so if that (/dev/hd? ...) is in
your /etc/fstab and the configuration is still right that would give you the
panic in and of itself.

Stephen

--
GPG Pubic Key: http://users.eastlink.ca/~stephencormier/publickey.asc