Re: Newbie Samba help

You probably need to create the user for Samba too, via smbpasswd.

As I said, please send your /etc/samba/smb.conf if you want more help.

As Dave was suggesting, you need to modify smb.conf. There are a few
GUIs that do that for you (http://us4.samba.org/samba/GUI/). Its
easier to edit the file for small purposes like this, if you know what
you want. Edit you /etc/samba/smb.conf to look like this: (this is
mine; remember to undo the linebreaks that are caused by this mail
text.)

[global]
       # change the WORKGROUP to whatever you see from XP Network Neighborhood.
       workgroup = WORKGROUP
       server string = %h server
       # the following line was added/changed
       encrypt passwords = true
       obey pam restrictions = Yes
       passdb backend = tdbsam
       passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
       passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully*
.
       syslog = 0
       log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
       max log size = 1000
       dns proxy = No
       invalid users = root
       # 192.168.a.b is the IP of my XP machine, replace a, b accordingly
       hosts allow = localhost, 192.168.a.b
       socket options = TCP_NODELAY
       load printers = No

[homes]
       comment = Home Directories
       create mask = 0700
       directory mask = 0700
       browseable = Yes
       writable = Yes

This should work with the defualt "Jan" passwd, otherwise, use
  smbpasswd Jan
at the comand line and provide a password (need not be the one you are
using for usual login, but helps to keep it same).

I generally map a network drive to the HOME directory of the samba
server (Debian box).
HTH
--
Regards