RE: Newbie Samba help (solved)

Many Thanks for all the replies ...

Turned out that all I needed to do was an "smbpasswd -a jan" and re-enter my
password.

At first I tried the settings you suggested ... I printed out your email and
my smb.conf and compared them line by line. The differences were very small.

Below is the smb.conf that gets setup via the NetInst routines. The "encrypt
passwords" does not show up in the smb.conf and yet when you go to
http://localhost:901 and click on the Globals button it does show "encrypt
passwords = YES". You suggested that under [homes] both "browseable" and
"writeable" should be YES. I changed the "browseable" to YES, but couldn't
find a "writable" as a choice under either the "Basic" or "Advanced" views.
That change didn't make any difference, so I ploughed on and filled in the
"hosts allow" field as you suggested. This change also didn't work, however
it made the machine "think" longer when I tried to login. Before the
response was instantaneous, this time it took a good 30 or 40 seconds to
refuse access. "socket options" isn't a choice under the "Basic" view, but
is under "Advanced" and mine was set the same as yours, but it doesn't show
in my smb.conf.

It appears that if it is a Samba default value it doesn't show in the
smb.conf file?

Only after doing the "smbpasswd -a jan" in Applications -> Accessories ->
Root Terminal did I get to access the \home\jan folder. I changed everything
back the original smb.conf settings and login from my Win Xp machines.

Interestingly from the Win Xp machine I can see a whole bunch of files and
folders with names that start with a "." that I can't see from the Gnome
desktop.

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2007/04/25 07:17:31

[global]
	workgroup = SFCMC
	server string = %h server
	obey pam restrictions = Yes
	passdb backend = tdbsam
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
	syslog = 0
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 1000
	dns proxy = No