Re: dvd problem

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007, Neil Sumner wrote:

I cant boot your dvd's the installation gets to mounting the dvd and fails

it says there is no module for the dvd and suggests that it must be an old
dvd drive

it isnt it is new, it is a SONY DVD RW AW G170A

All *nix do this with my system which is an intel dp965lt motherboard and
E6600 core 2 duo

All except for Ubuntu which now works (six months ago when I started trying
it didn't even get as far as trying to mount a dvd).

Now I am told that I can boot from a USB stick or a floppy, but (a) I dont
have a floppy and (b) this is an IDE drive for which your manuals say:- 'all
covered'. Well this one isnt, so your manuals are in error.

Also the installation program isnt working, it says 'old drive' which is not
the case.

I think both of these count as bugs, but I cant report them using bug rep.

Finally you claim to give 'an easy installation from dvd'........ er.

I have tried getting advice from the forum but only got told to use a USB
stick, again easy installation?

I have waited six months hoping that this would be picked up in this time,
and no joy.

It looks to me that if I do not ask you directly, I may be waiting forever
:)

Thanks

Neil

It looks like there is an issue with your motherboard, not your dvd drive.
see:
http://kerneltrap.org/node/7020

looks like a lot of the issues are solved with 2.6.19, you might want to try to pass "all-generic-ide" when you boot to the kernel, that might solve it, or possibly a daily build of lenny from http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/i386/iso-cd/
That has 2.6.20, which is also the kernel that probably booted your ubuntu
install.

-+-
8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Techno.