Re: Exim4 EHLO/STARTTLS/AUTH and buggy client

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 13:11:33 -0400
Greg Folkert <greg@gregfolkert.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-04-21 at 09:01 -0700, Mark wrote:
> > Hi --
> >
> > Just trying Exim, coming from a long time of Sendmail. Curious how
> > this might be handled, if it can be. I realize this is a buggy mail
> > client problem, but such is the way of the things.
> >
> > Synopsis: Buggy client wants to relay a message via Exim server to a
> > foreign domain, authenticating to Exim with TLS/PLAIN
>
> To be honest, this is an exact kind of message for the Exim Mailing
> list... only *DO NOT* tell them you are using DEBIAN. You will be shot
> on sight.
>
> There is an alioth message list for Debian specific issues. Mark Haber
> and Andreas Metzler do a fine job on it.
>
> REMEMEBER, when using the EXIM mailing list... the WORD *DEBIAN* is a
> swear word. They don't like the "modular approach" and think it is a
> horrible thing. Hence you will be SHOT on sight.

:). Had I had the benefit of your wisdom several years ago, my body
might still be unholed.

> Ask a "how would I cause exim to accept this buggy client?"
>
> This message as done might just do.
>
> Though, they might ask for logs to see what is going on to get around
> it.
>
> If you submit logs, replace any "Debian" reference with something
> else... anything else.

And he may get asked for his Exim configuration file(s), which he won't
be able to give them, since that's exactly the root of the schism.

Celejar