Re: [OT] Universities, Linux, M$, USA

Nate Bargmann wrote:
> * Michael Dominok <du.lists@dominok.net> [2007 Apr 24 03:33 -0500]:
>> Am Dienstag, den 24.04.2007, 02:46 -0500 schrieb Gnu_Raiz:
>>
>> [Snipped Horrorstory]
>>
>>> Oh if
>>> your curious about what University I attend it's the University of
>>> Memphis, not that it makes any difference.
>> Is this typical for US-universities?
>
> Pretty much.
>
>> Looks like "old Europe" is leading here?
>
> Well, if you consider that a decade or so ago that our universities
> implemented technology from a national vendor and what was most likely
> to be found in the workplace, it's not so unusual.  The huge installed
> base creates its own momentum.  The tide is (probably) slowly turning,
> but it will take a while.
>
> - Nate >>

Poor computer systems at school are just begging for Identify Theft.
Nearly every student at schools out here are required to give their
Social Security Number to the school. It is sort of common knowledge
that this is not necessary, common to everyone but the database software
that no one will rewrite, I am guessing.

At least at KSU they have recently changed school ID numbers from SSN to
a random 9-digit number.

System Horror Story: At my old high school, students all log in in the
same format: First three letters of last name + School ID, and
everyone's password was "shs" The only piece of security was in not
knowing your buddies' School ID... which was insecure if you browse the
network drive and click 'up directory' button. It would list every
user's folder, by username.

Computers were able to boot from CD or USB, so I was able to boot DSL if
I wanted to. At one point earlier in the year, network drives were
writable by students. So I put a copy of portable Firefox on the apps:
drive, then left a txt note for the admin telling them that I did it,
and that this did not violate the Acceptable Use Policy. I never heard
from him. The school either didn't notice, or didn't care, but I am
betting on the former, because it was still there the day I left.

- --
Please do not use HTML mail for fully-textual messages.
Matthew K Poer <matthewpoer@gmail.com>
Location: GA, USA              Web: http://matthewpoer.freehostia.com
GnuPG Public Key: 4DD0A9A6     Keyserver: subkeys.pgp.net
Thinkpad 600: Debian Sarge     Sony VAIO PCV-RS 520: Debian Etch