Re: Re: Irresponsible user stories!

"Michael Pobega" <pobega@gmail.com> Wrote:

> Did you end up figuring out who this person is, or not?

I never did other than the fact that he probably goes by the name of Jon.
I would really need to have access to the logs to determine who logged in
at that lab by that name. Otherwise it would be more work to determine
who the person was.

I have to agree my University is Windows only and a good lab tech, or
administrator should of detected it right away. That is why I am not
surprised that people get away with this, 97% of the computers I log onto
have outdated bioses, and older versions of software that is not patched.
For example that computer had a bios version of A00, an old Dell probably
5 years old, with a crt monitor, and a dusty keyboard with a manual
rollbar mouse. That is why I was surprised that networking was not
working. Parentally someone has setup something correctly, I give credit
to Novel as the University uses their software for networking. I can't
even get a ping, but I did not try a static IP address, just ifconfig,
and dhclient to see if I could talk to the router, but no dice.  Whats
even more funny is this was located in the math building, and the lab is
supposedly run by the math, and computer science department.

I use to carry around baby wipes, to clean the screens, and keyboards of
the computers I used.  It's kind of funny, you would think that the lab
techs would do that on occasion, but no one seems to bother. I do notice
that if you do clean a few screens and keyboards, students seem to want
those computers more. I only use the labs to save on printing ink at
home, even with that I use one ink cartridge every 3-4 months.

I was talking to one of my professors she was telling us that the
department was forcing them to use outlook as their mail client. You
would get in trouble if you used another client, or any unauthorized mail
agent such as webmail, Goggle or other such stuff. So I am not surprised
that students get away with this stuff, put what gets me is my University
is trying to do Microsoft on the cheap.

You would think that Open Source would have a really good hold at a place
like this, but it doesn't. What I mean is they the University wants
everyone to use Microsoft but they require the students to purchase the
license.  In fact the University bookstore does not sell software, in
order to get a student license you need to go to an office in a basement
and fill out a special form then pay the student price, then take back
the receipt to the same place then they will give you the discs. I have
even thought about writing a professor .doc howto to tell students and
professors of how to use Open Source software such as Open Office, and
how to use tools such as catdoc, and Goggle to do papers and projects. As
an example I was sent a .doc file of like two sentences that took up 25
kilobytes, no special headers, or frames was needed after saving it
to .txt it was like 8 kilobytes. I mean the professor could of just c/p
it to an email but had to use it as an attachment. I mean I could really
write a ten page howto, just to explain the benefits of not using .doc
and ppt, how pdf, htlm are preferred just to not confuse students.  Oh if
your curious about what University I attend it's the University of
Memphis, not that it makes any difference.

Gnu_Raiz