texlive document source files

Hi,

I'm confused as to how to install source files for use with
texlive. I'm editing a multifile document, and I want to use a .bst
file to format the bibliography. It works if I put this file in the
same directory as the document. But I want to put it in a directory
that bibtex will search automatically, so that I can refer to it for
documents in any directory without making many copies. So I checked
with kpathsea for the path to bst files. One of the options was
~/texmf/tex/latex/bibtex/bst, so I created that directory, put the
..bst file in there, and ran mktexlsr. However, bibtex complains that
the file is not found when I run it. What have I missed?

I'm using emacs with auctex/reftex, running the latest version of
texlive et al on Lenny.

Thanks,

Tyler