Re: incorrect times displayed

On Sun, Apr 22, 2007 at 05:46:21PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> Doug writes:
> > I had this problem when I was running chrony which prevented rtc access.
>
> I'm running Chrony here (I'm the maintainer).  It does not normally prevent
> rtc access.  Did you file a bug report?

Yes, and I think we talked.  If I told chrony to control the rtc it
would not _and_ it would block hwclock from writing to it on shutdown.

The 'answer' was to tell chrony to not try to touch the rtc.  I had been
struggling with chrony enough (things like the 'online' command in the
ppp-up.d script returning 'no such source') that it was just easier to
use ntpd.  The rtc thing on my new box was just the last straw and I
didn't have the left-over effort to work on bugs that for all I knew
only related to my (then) new hardware.  The chrony docs said that the
rtc interface only worked with some hardware.  The problem was that I
ended up with wildly inacurate clock info and chrony wouldn't get it
synced in the time I had online.

FYI its an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 mb with Athlon 3800+ running Etch
amd64.

ntpd now seems to sync relativly quickly so I'm not sure of the need for
chrony.

Thanks,
Doug.