Re: Debian update

Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
gustavo halperin wrote:

The only error from Xorg.0.log is
(EE) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable
But I don't think that it is the problem.

This does not seem to be the cause of the problem. If you want to correct
this however, dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg might be useful.

I didn't find any error from xpdf in the ~/.xsession-errors but I found
something from Eterm:
Eterm: Warning: Locale not supported; defaulting to
portable "C" locale.

This is also not the cause of the problem. All it says is that eterm does
not support your locale. But it should not cause hangups.

1) When the hangup happens, Are you able to ctrl-alt-f1 and go into console
of the machine? If so, log in there and do top/htop etc., to figure out
which process is taking up most of the CPU, memory etc., You can also try
to ssh into the macine.
I can't doing nothing, the system is hung, also the mouse and keyboard doesn't respond.
2) Also make sure, all the packages in your system are up to date. Sometimes
intermixing different KDE versions etc., are known to cause some problems.
   gusti# apt-get dist-upgrade
   Reading package lists... Done
   Building dependency tree... Done
   Calculating upgrade... Done

3) Are there any messages in /var/log/messages etc., indicating some hard
drive I/O problems? This is a long shot but worth checking up.
Noup
4) Do you have sufficient memory or are you constantly using swap space?
Using swap space is slow as opposed to using RAM and might explain
the "hang ups".
Not, the hung also occur if I run Eterm as the first application after the X.
sorry I haven't been much useful so far

raju

By the way, maybe can I run Eterm and debug it and see what is the problem?
What do you think about it?

 Thank you,  Gustavo