Unable to recompile kernel and/or rt61 since upgrade

Hi,

Since upgrading to etch yesterday I've found that I'm unable to make
custom kernels, infact I can't even do a 'make config'. Instead I get
the following:
	HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
	HOSTCC  scripts/basic/split-include
	HOSTCC  scripts/basic/docproc
	HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/conf.o
	HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/mconf.o
scripts/kconfig/mconf.c:91: error: static declaration of
'current_menu' follows non-static declaration
scripts/kconfig/lkc.h:63: error: previous declaration of
'current_menu' was here
make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/mconf.o] Error 1
make: *** [config] Error 2

Having Googled this subject I found a suggestions and even a bug
report saying that the problem is between gcc4 and kernel-source
version 2.6.8-16sarge6.  The suggested solution is to downgrade the
compiler - however doing this seems easier said than done, and looks
like it might just open another can of problems.

The reason I noticed that problem was that since upgrading to Etch my
once reliable wifi card (RT61 based PCI card) seems to have become
very unrealiable: at best reporting high TX packet loss and at worst
not even seeing any wireless networks at all (at the same time other
machines can get on the same wireless network with no problems).
Figuring this was a problem with new libraries in Etch and my home
compiled wifi drivers I tried recompiling but this also failed giving
hundreds of what appear to be simple syntax errors, ie:
rtmp.h:1963: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before
'u32'

Any advice on what to do to get out of this situation would be much
appreciated.

..eddie