Re: Hostname confusion!!

On Sat, 2007-04-21 at 20:38 +0100, Steven Maddox (Architect) wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> HELP! -- I could REALLY use your help here before I muck up further!
>
> I have installed my Debian etch server on the idea it was going to be
> called 'sinclair' so this is the hostname I told it to use during
> installation.
>
> Later I decided to renamed it to 'dedicated'  (n.b. This made more sense
> as it was 'Sinclair Dedicated' with 'Sinclair' being the networks name,
> not the PC itself)
> So I changed the data in /etc/hostname to simply 'dedicated' and then
> rebooted

Here is everywhere my hosts name appears from /etc:

        exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf
        hostname
        hosts
        mailname (the fqdn actually)
        motd
        ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key* (public and private keys)
        ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key* (public and private keys)

motd is updated automagically on boot from hostname, the other ones need
to be updated properly.

remember I started in /etc, so motd would actually be "/etc/motd"

Cheers
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup