Re: Idea for weekly/monthy wallpaper/themes package

> I like the idea of daily/weekly/monthly wallpaper. I'd love if it
> would be a debian package that
> would ask about resolution, how often to update,  tags(light/dark,
> linux/debian/tux/whatever),
> to keep archieve or not, other issues like dual-monitor etc during
> configuring. After this package should add cron job to download
> specific wallpaper and replace /usr/share/weekly-wallpaper.png with
> new one.
> So to change their settings users just need to run dpkg-reconfigure
> weekly-wallpaper-pkg.
>
> And there is no need to run apt-get update every time you want a new wallpaper.

That's a good point; if a user doesn't run a system upgrade for a
while, he won't get any new wallpaper.  On the other hand, users
*should* regularly check for and install upgrades for security, etc.
Maybe getting tired of the old wallpaper would help remind them to do
so.  :)  Or maybe they would get used to the wallpaper, or just decide
they really like it, and not run an upgrade.

I'm not completely convinced that the package needs to resize the
wallpaper itself; both KDE and GNOME can size down images larger than
the screen resolution, and they do a good job.

Another possibility is to have a repository of selected wallpapers,
and a scheduled script to choose one at random, using tags/
categories.  A possible extension of that idea is to let the user
browse through and choose the exact one he wants, but that's easy
enough already: Konqueror, for one, can quickly set any image as the
desktop wallpaper.

Maybe a better idea would be a script--maybe with a GUI frontend--to
choose random wallpapers from KDE-Look and GNOME-Look; it would make
sure the image is large enough to fit the screen, and it could choose
based upon rating, number of downloads, keywords, etc.  It could also
use Flickr as a source.