Re: dumb questions about video editing and camcorders...

the transfer from camcorder to computer file does not have to be done by
you, maybe you know someone who can do it and put it on a dvd. Other
wise, you need something like a firewire interface and a camcorder that
is computer compatible.

Dear Debianists, thanks for all the useful comments on video editing etc. I do have a few other questions that I have accumulated after investigating this a little further. I have nosing into the various different kinds of camcorders that are about these days. There seems to be quite a few different types. From what I could see it looked as though getting one with a hard drive on it might be the way forward rather than a tape or DVD. Your comments on this choice would be appreciated.

Also getting a camera with a large lens generally seems to be helpful for a number of reasons including motion and light sensitivity.

I installed Blender and had a little look at it. The documentation in Blender says that you really need a good graphics card e.g. Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS and that you need to install the proprietary driver for it to get the full 3D acceleration.....

How much better is the performance with the proprietary driver relative to the free nv driver that comes with Debian Etch? There is a recipe in the Debian docs telling you how to install the nonfree driver.

Would most people who have Nvidia cards and Etch on their machines and that subscribe to this user list be using the proprietary driver?

Are the companies making it difficult for the free software folks to produce free drivers?

If so is a big problem or can a sneaky workaround be figured out eventually by some means or other?

Regards

Michael Fothergill

coriander maybe whats needed:
 Coriander is a GUI that lets you control all the features of an
 IEEE-1394 Digital Camera complying with the DC Specifications v1.04 or
 later (see http://www.1394ta.org).
-k
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|

<< signature.asc >>