Re: dumb questions about video editing and camcorders...

Michael Fothergill wrote:

---
Dear Debianists, thanks for all the useful comments on video editing etc. I do have a few other questions that I have accumulated after investigating this a little further. I have nosing into the various different kinds of camcorders that are about these days. There seems to be quite a few different types. From what I could see it looked as though getting one with a hard drive on it might be the way forward rather than a tape or DVD. Your comments on this choice would be appreciated.

I would suggest getting a camera with a hard drive. Higher capacity to cost ratio for one thing. Also, simply higher capacity, which means longer movies/multiple movies, before having to move data to other media.

Also getting a camera with a large lens generally seems to be helpful for a number of reasons including motion and light sensitivity.

The more zoom power, the better, so long as it's *optical* and *not* digital. Forget digital zoom, it offers little in return for the loss in quality.

I'm not familiar enough with video editing to know how this applies to video images, but with still photos, you can do the "digital" zoom in your photo editor (Gimp, or whatever) and have it under your full control, rather than letting the camera do it for you with minimal control. In darkroom terminology, you're 'enlarging' the image.

With optical zoom, you will maintain full digital image quality throughout the zoom range (remembering that at longer focal lengths, hand shake can contribute to loss of quality - so image stabilization is also a good thing to have).

---
 > Would most people who have Nvidia cards and Etch on their machines and
that subscribe to this user list be using the proprietary driver?

I use the proprietary driver module because of its vast improvement in things like Googleearth.

---

bob