Re: Administration (+apt-get dist-upgrade) of 100s of machines

On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 10:37:54AM -0000, Peter Valdemar Morch wrote:

> Is there a smarter way? How does one manage many, many debian installations without having to give each one special manual treatment? Ideally I'd like this to be a fully automated operation and only be
> notified of any failures in a reliable way.
>
> Rather than trying to write our own scripts, I've searched the admin::configuring and use::configuring tags and come up with dpsyco, ugrade-system and fai, but they all seem inappropriate to our needs.

  cfengine:

    http://www.debian-administration.org/tag/cfengine

  It will let you edit files, run scripts, and automate many many things
 from one central point.  Whilst it won't handle debconf prompting you
 can preseed answers and ensure they are used.

  There are other similar tools; I think that puppet is the currently
 favored "new" system - but at the time I looked at it I didn't have
 the impression it was mature enough to use.  That seems to have changed
 now, but I've not used it.

Steve
--
http://www.steve.org.uk/