Re: Burn files > 4 GB to DVD

John Jason Jordan wrote:

> The problem is not the media or the drive. My DVD burner is double
> layer and I have some double layer DVDs that can hold 8 GB. I can burn
> a DVD that holds 8 GB, but it still can't include any individual files
> that are over 4 GB in size. I tried GnomeBaker, K3b and Nautilus. Each
> one said that the write failed because the file was over 4 GB. The file
> in question is 4.4 GB and it wouldn't work even if I used a double
> layer DVD.
>
> Thanks for the response, but I'm stll stuck.

I dont know if this will work for you. Back in floppy days, when I had to
copy a 10 MB file onto a bunch of floppy disks (1.4 Mb each), I used the
split command. It can split a large file into multiple smaller files. You
can then burn these individual files onto (separate) DVDs. In future, if
you want to get the original file back, use the cat command.

Another solution is to compress the 4.4 GB. You basically need somekind of
zip, gzip, bzip etc., which will atleast give you 10% compression.

hth
raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi