Re: Trying to end my subscription? HELP!

On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 03:39:32PM +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 08:07:08 -0400
> Greg Folkert <greg@gregfolkert.net> wrote:
> > At the bottom of every mailing from any Debian mailing list is a
> > footer on howto remove yourself it reads:
>
> Unless somebody has PGP signed their message.  Then, for some reason[0],
> the unsub info doesn't get attached to the message sent to the list.
> Of course, the remaining 70% of messages have the details.
>
> [0] Which I've not been able to figure out.

This has been discussed several times.  As I recall it's really a bug
in the smartlist (I think) software used for the mailing lists, and has
to do with multipart/mime messages, of which pgp-signed messages are
one example.  I think the deal is that the author(s) or list admin(s)
don't want to mung the body of messages beyond appending the list unsub
message at the bottom.  If you look, the unsub message is there, but is
hidden due to it not having its own mime part -- or maybe it's that the
unsub message is added after the final closing tags of the mime structure.
It was submitted as a bug along with a possible fix, but for whatever
reason the situation persists.

Ken

--
Ken Irving