Re: Whats happened to my psuedo ttys

On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 21:48 +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 April 2007 14:07, Greg Folkert wrote:

> > > I presume by the deafening silence that this isn't a problem that
> > > is hitting everyone else out there.
> > >
> > > Can someone at least tell me which init script is supposed to set
> > > up the psuedo ttys so I can try and figure out why it isn't
> > > happening.
> >
> > It isn't an init script. udev dynamically creates these.
> >
> > As I open new consoles in XFce, I find that with one terminal open, I
> > get one device in /dev/pts/. If I open 2, I have two devices
> > in /dev/pts/.
> >
> > If I open 30 terminals, I get 30 devices. I just tried it.
> >
> > I actually looked for evidence that it is a udev problem or a konsole
> > problem. I installed konsole, had zero problems, I got nothing for
> > you on this one. I used gnome-terminal, same thing. xterm, same
> > thing.
> >
> > konsole v3.5.5a.dfsg.1-6
> > xterm v225-1
> > gnome-terminal v2.18.0-1
> > udev v0.105-4
> > hal v0.5.8.1-9
> > linux-image linux-image-2.6.20-1-k7 v2.6.20-2~snapshot.8442
> >
> > In /etc/udev/permissions.rules I have this:
> >
> >         KERNEL=="pty*", MODE="0666", GROUP="tty"
> >
> > In /etc/udev/run.rules
> >
> >         KERNEL=="pty*", OPTIONS+="last_rule"
> >
> > I'd have to think that would be all that is needed.
>
> I have just those rules.  But what devices does it create in /dev?
> I have /dev/ptmx and a directory /dev/pts (with nothing in it).  The
> directory is owned by root.root with access rights 755.  This maybe the
> problem - can you tell me what yours are.

ls -l /dev/ptmx
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root      5,   2 2007-04-17 16:51 /dev/ptmx

ls -ld /dev/pts
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root           0 2007-04-13 08:39 /dev/pts

ls -l /dev/pts/1
crw--w---- 1 greg tty 136, 1 2007-04-17 16:57 /dev/pts/1

Which are historically correct and correct for nowadays, since "root"
creates the files in there and chowns them once created.

> > Two last questions, is udev working(running?) and what kernel are you
> > using?
>
> udev is running
> kernel is 2.6.20

use synaptic to find out the actual version of the source, I am betting
the 2.6.20-1 and also the version of udev.

> (I would normally go to a console and do a uname -r for you - but I am
> hobbled because I can only get to a console with CTL-ALT-F1, but then I
> can only get back if I restart kdm - because a bug in the i810 driver
> locks my machine solid if I try to come back via CTL-ALT-F7).

No big deal.

Konsole needs to have "kgrantpty" this way as far as the triplets are
concerned (chmod 4755):

ls -l /usr/bin/kgrantpty
-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 5824 2007-02-07 15:54 /usr/bin/kgrantpty

But this may not apply.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup