Well actually NM is a gnome daemon + applet which intends to be useful to mobile laptop users who switch from wireless network to wireless network.

From: http://www.gnome.org/projects/NetworkManager/

<snip>

   Pain-Free Networking

Networking on Linux right now is painful for the mobile desktop user, especially in comparison to other operating systems. A laptop user should never need to use the command line or configuration files to manage their network; it should "Just Work" as automatically as possible and intrude as little as possible into the user's workflow.

</snip>

and this job it does brilliantly. But let's say it's not completely mature yet so it's integration with current networking handling needs more working on. :)