top-bar NetworkManager icon says "No network connection"

Hi,

I recently installed Debian Etch and it works fine...including the network connection. But in the top-bar, on the right I have 4 icons, from right to left: Window Selector, speaker, time and NetworkManager that says No network connection. When I right click on it, I get a drop-down menu with 3 lines. On top: Enable network connection (marked), Connection information (grey), and About. Why does it say "No network connection"?

Thanks,

Huub