Re: Need ftp client

On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 10:47:55PM EDT, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> cga2000 wrote:
>

> >> If God had meant us to use gooey FTP clients, he'd have made our
> >> fingers out of nacho cheese sauce!!
> >
> > Nicely put.
>
> Definitely not. GUI has its advantages, cli has its core competencies. Both
> of them should be seen as complementing each other rather than excluding
> each other.
>
> > Must be fun to "drag" .. and er.. "drop" three hundred files that all
> > start with "cga" .. or whatever .. rather than use a plain old simple
> > command whose syntax supports wildcards.
>
> Sometimes it is not just for fun. If you are tranferring just 2 or 3 files,
> the possibility of doing "mistakes" with GUI is a lot less than using cli.
>
> Besides if you are like me and have 20-30 character long file names, which
> take atleast 8 tab strokes to complete the filename even while employing
> wildcards, GUI is definitely the way to go (all that involved is just a
> left mouse click).

If you don't like typing, why do you create files with such long names
in the first place?

> I do use command line whenever I think it gets the job done efficiently.
> However I am not averse to using GUI if it gets the job done efficiently.
> Efficiency is what matters, not how you get the job done. YMMV.

Yes, ordering the same cheap pizza over and over rather than learning to
cook your own chow.  More "efficient".  But think of the damage you are
doing to yourself.  Catches up with you in the long run.

Thanks,
cga