Re: Further problems with OOo

andy wrote:

> My wife, using Etch, was writing a long document in OOo, went to go and
> save it as *.doc (for transport to work) and the document crashed. Now
> everything except the very earliest save is gone! She is *not* impressed
> (so much for my Linux advocacy!).
> How can I recover the document - the auto-recovery of OOo only retrieved
> the earlier stuff, but all changes she has made over the last few hours
> are gone.
>
> Any guides on how I can rescue and resuscitate the document as close to
> when it crashed as possible and save my wife's emotional sanity?
>
> A BIG thanks

Hi Andy,
Again, it would be helpful if you indicate which version of OOo you are
using. What was the backup frequency set to in Tools -> Options ->
Load/Save -> "Save Autorecovery every ..... minutes"? That will determine
with what frequency your work is backed up. I don't have much experience
with M$ Word but I suppose it works in much the same way. I'm not sure what
you mean when you say "the document crashed". Do you mean OOo crashed? You
might want to describe what exactly happened because I don't think this is
normal behaviour. My girlfriend is an editor/translator and has used OOo
for several years. She typically gets long and complicated docs that need
to be sent back (with the changes recored) in .doc format. She has never
experienced this kind of problem. You might also post your query to the
comp.openoffice.questions newsgroup. That's probably the best place for the
recovery issue and why OOo crashed on saving as a .doc file.
Cheers,
Jonathan