Re: Complete system freeze from virtual terminals / terminal emulators

> [ If you want to make sure that your messages show up in the correct
>   thread then you have to provide In-Reply-To headers. With your webmail
>   interface it is probably best to use "Reply-To-All" and then to remove
>   the email address of the original poster and to shift the list address
>   from "Cc:" to "To:". ]

Thanks for the tips Florian :) I'm more used to forums than mailing lists :P

> I would also go to "K-Menu > Control Center > Sound & Multimedia >
> System Bell" and check the settings there. I don't know which other
> parts of KDE might want to use the system bell but it cannot hurt to
> make sure it is deactivated for all of KDE.

I checked the system bell settings in the control center, and fortunately
It was not enabled, so it shouldn't be a problem in any other
applications.

> It looks like your X setup is OK as far as the graphics card is
> concerned (see my remarks below). Maybe the problem is in some weird way
> related to the pcspkr module which controls the system bell. You could
> try to (un)load the module and see if that makes any difference. The
> whole thing might be a very rare coincidence of several factors;
> tracking it down might be difficult and not really worth it.
>
> [...]

Brilliant Florian, the problem does seem to be the pcspkr module. I
modprobe -r pcspkr and the terminal works fine, then I modprobe pcspkr and
everything freezes again. So I suppose all I have to do is blacklist the
pcspkr module or something like that and my problems should be over.

Should I file a bug report for this with the kernel team then??

Thanks again for all your help,

Pat