Re: cupsys admin/security/encryption

On Sun, 2007-04-15 at 08:59 -0400, Tom Allison wrote:
> Can someone point me to a basic primer on how to set up a minimal level of
> security for the printers?
>
> I'm on a single subnet, but I would rather run this without having to use root
> login to administer anything and even have other users the ability to at least
> check printer status and kill/retry jobs.

Well, you can do just that. If these users have accounts on the local
machine, just add them to the "lp" group. If not there is another
option.

Initially, the easiest way is to use a GUI browser from the machine
hosting the printer, goto http://localhost:631/admin/

Make sure you check the boxes for:

        Share published printers connected to this system
        Allow users to cancel any job (not just their own)

Now if you'd like to be able to admin from "remote" (== not localhost),
then you should also check:

        Allow remote administration

Beyond that, it comes down to making changes to each printer or printer
class. There is a very nice section called "Documentation/Help" on that
location, and it has:

        Getting Started
        Man Pages
        Programming