Re: Old Compaq 5670 system: Problem with netinst

On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 09:14:38AM +0200, Johan Schildt wrote:

> I have been trying to install Debian via the netinstCD on an old Compaq
> 5670, 450Mhz PII with 8Gb disk.
>
> The problem is that during the install of all packages the space on the
> system partition seems to run out.
>
> These are my installation choices.
> 1. Let debian decide how to partition the disk.
> 1.a two partitions: one the / and one for /home.
> 1.b install a standard system and a desktop system (skrivbordsmilj? in
> Swedish)
>
> Debian sets the partitionsizes to:
> 1. ~ 2 Gb for the system /
> 2. ~ 5 Gb for /home

Welcome Johan,

Have you read the installation manual?  According to section D2, the
desktop task should install in 2 GB.  You should do an installation
report and submit it as a bug against that meta-package; instructions in
the installation manual.

Personally, I always partition manually.  You can either go direct or
LVM.  Either way, for a single 8 GB drive, I suggest:

/	512 MB (includs /boot unless on LVM)
swap	min 1 GB for desktop if I've the disk space.  With more
	than one drive, I split it over all spindles
/usr	3 GB
/var	3 GB
/home	rest (1.5 GB)

My amd64 current usage:
/	136 MB
swap	0
/usr	2.0 GB
/var	1.5 GB (includes backups in /var/local/backup)
/home	2.2 GB

I split it up to prevent an over-eager package installation from filling
up / and crashing the system.

Good luck.

Doug.