Re: Old Compaq 5670 system: Problem with netinst

Johan Schildt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am mailing since I dont know what packages to report to.
>
> I have been trying to install Debian via the netinstCD on an old Compaq
> 5670, 450Mhz PII with 8Gb disk.
>
> The problem is that during the install of all packages the space on the
> system partition seems to run out.
>
> These are my installation choices.
> 1. Let debian decide how to partition the disk.
> 1.a two partitions: one the / and one for /home.
> 1.b install a standard system and a desktop system (skrivbordsmiljö in
> Swedish)
>
> Debian sets the partitionsizes to:
> 1. ~ 2 Gb for the system /
> 2. ~ 5 Gb for /home
>
> My opinion, after I checked in a terminal  (alt F4), is that ~ 2 Gb for
> a debian desktop system (/ ) seems to be to small. Messages in the
> terminal was 'No space left on device'. And then the rest of the
> installation process is useless to continue with, nothing works.
>
> I am trying to install with only one partiton (more space) and see if
> this works better.
>
> I like Debian and hope that this perhaps can be of interest.
>
> I'd be happy to answer any qestions
>
> /best regards Johan S

8GB should be plenty for a small Debian install. I am running Sarge on a
5GB disk right now. Though I am at ~90% capacity...

Try partitioning with everything on one disk partition, with a 512 MB
taken aside for swap. I like this best for smaller Hard Disks because
you do not know if you will be storing a lot of media in your home
directory, or installing some large packages, later on.

Although, 2GB should be enough for a minimal system to install on. It
should enough for base packages, xorg and a light WM (no GNOME or KDE,
though, probably).

So what were you trying to install?

- --
Please do not use HTML mail for fully-textual messages.
Matthew K Poer <matthewpoer@gmail.com>
Location: GA, USA              Web: http://matthewpoer.freehostia.com
GnuPG Public Key: 4DD0A9A6     Keyserver: subkeys.pgp.net
Thinkpad 600: Debian Sarge     Sony VAIO PCV-RS 520: Debian Etch