Re: (root) AUTH (crontab command not allowed)

On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 07:02:09PM +0200, Franck Joncourt wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 10:55:52AM +0200, Kay Smarczewski wrote:

> > > my crontabs are empty. i have removed the crontab for my user account
> > > and the crontab for root with "crontab -r". so that is another problem:
> > > i do not really know where to search for the "bad" command because the
> > > error message is not very expressive. i seem it is the chkrootkit or the
> > > checksecurity script. but i do not know.
> > >
> > > how can i find out which file is the bad one?
> > ok, it seems the problem is gone. but i do not know why. i changed the
> > group of cron.allow to "crontab" and removed the root user from
> > cron.allow. but i do not see a connection between the error message and
> > the changes.
>
> According to the manpage, root overrides the rights you put in both
> /etc/cron.allow and /etc/cron.deny.
>
> So, have you tried just to remove root from those files, and see what
> happened ?
/etc/cron.deny doesn't exist. so from this file there should be no
"danger".
since if have removed root from cron.allow all goes the right way.

but i don't understand that fact: if i add root to cron.allow i
will explicitly grant executing crontab commands to root.
if i don't add it to the file, access for root is granted by
default.

so i think it should not matter if which way i go, should it?

best regards

kay