Re: (root) AUTH (crontab command not allowed)

On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 12:29:07AM +0200, Kay Smarczewski wrote:
> Hello,

Hi,

> I get always the error message
> > (root) AUTH (crontab command not allowed)
> in my logs. I interpret this that root is not allowed to run crontab.
> But my cron.allow contains the root user:
> > cat /etc/cron.allow
> > root
> So root should be allowed to run crontab, shouldn't it?

By default, /etc/cron.allow and /etc/cron.deny do not exist, and it
means all users are able to run a crontab, root as well.

Are you sure you have to add root in /etc/cron.allow ? I believed it was
not compulsory.

> The rights on the files should be ok, I think:
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 root crontab /etc/cron.allow
> > -rwxr-sr-x 1 root crontab /usr/bin/crontab
> > drwx-wx--T 2 root crontab /var/spool/cron/crontabs/
>
> In my opinion, I get the warning since I have installed checksecurity.
> But tiger seems to work good and weekly. (I installed checksecurity at
> the same time like tiger.)
>
> I have read the manuals and searched for the problem in the net. But I
> did not found an answer.
>
> I am using cron version 3.0pl1-100 and Debian/Linux 4.0 AMD64.

Me too, and it works fine. I do not edit /etc/crontab, but prefer adding
files to the cron directories. (/etc/cron.d, /etc/cron.hourly ...)

Hope it helps.

--
Franck Joncourt
http://www.debian.org