Re: a Debian user's introduction to Redhat EL4?

On 12-apr-2007, at 8:47, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 01:29:51AM +0200, Peter Teunissen wrote:

I'm a happy Debian user and will not move to RH. But. As I wrote in
my question, I'm _forced_ to use RHEL4 at my job.

Since more debianites will have been in this situation, I think it's
not inappropriate to ask on this list for pointers to a RH intro for
Debian users...

Red Hat EL 4 is business-like: if you want to run big Oracle data bases
or similar, it's what your bosses want. It appeals well to the sort
of business regards Linux as very new, that needs someone to blame and
is willing to pay support costs "in case". The sort of people that deal
with HP in preference because "well, DEC were such a good company" :)
That's its focus.

That's what this world has evolved into; everything is worth what you paid for it. There will be a moment when someone realizes that he didn't pay for his wife and start to doubt if her love for him is genuine. :-/

It's not very workmanlike in the sense of the ideal tools to
develop on: whenever I install or use RHEL, my first response is
"where _is_ everything?" - apps. that I'd normally apt-get
just aren't available.
Yeah, mysql 4.x is stale...

RHEL 4 is still tied to Red Hat Network - yum is still "unofficial" at
that
stage IIRC. This has all changed in RHEL5, of course :)
I find this rpm / yum / up2date stuff confusing. Do I ruin my system by mixing them? Is yum vs up2date somewhat like aptitude vs apt-get?

There are no backports repositories, though you may get effective
backports shoved onto your system by updates. Most people I know say
"Oh, I had to download that from Freshmeat/freshRPMs"
Mmmh, and then I think, where's alien, so I can be sure my rpm's don't collide with yum & up2date's stuff? But maybe I'm to debian minded, wanting stuff to be neatly organised... But I'll take such pure RH questions to another list.

<snip>

Thanx Andy