Re: Sarge -> Etch: A Painful Upgrade

On Thursday, 12.04.2007 at 18:30 -0400, Ralph Katz wrote:

> >> - aptitude update (etch sources)
> >> - aptitude upgrade
> >> - see lots of warnings
> >
> > This was your first sign of trouble.  And, given that you were not
> > fully committed to an upgrade at that point, it would probably have
> > been better if you'd stopped there - and reported the
> > errors/warnings you saw.
>
> In retrospect, absolutely!
>
> > Given that you had trouble after what is a very simple operation,
> > something fundamental must be wrong.  Perhaps your previous
> > downgrade from Sid to Sarge wasn't quite right, even though your
> > system appeared to be operating fine.
>
> Not a chance.  This machine had a fresh install of sarge last May
> (long after the sid/sarge downgrade) and was up-to-date as of the day
> of upgrade.

Oh, OK, fair enough: your original post didn't make that clear.  You
said you "stayed with Sarge", which suggested no reinstall.

> > Any subsequent problems may well be as a result of that first problem.
> >
> > Are you *certain* your /etc/apt/sources.list were correct?
> >
> > What were the *actual* warnings (where you state "lots of warnings")?
>
> Too late now to remember it all clearly, unless there's evidence in
> the logs.  Many of the warnings are captured in the logs if you check
> the bug report #418911, I even cat /etc/apt/sources.list at one point
> in the capture.  I posted 6 mbs of logs in the bug.

What I was getting at, really, was that something hugely fundamental
must have caused your error at that first stage.  There's not enough
information to figure out what: it *could* have been bad sources, it
*could* have been lack of disk space, it *could* have been ... etc. etc.
Without inspecting those first errors it's impossible to say.

> My post was more of a warning, 'heads-up, this may not be as easy as
> you think.'  I hope to save others some aggravation and help the
> developers see how a user can flub it.

Yeah, I realise that was your purpose ... :-)

Dave.

--
Please don't CC me on list messages!
Dave Ewart - davee@sungate.co.uk - jabber: davee@jabber.org